Criminal Defense of Immigrants


§ 12.2 (B)

Skip to § 12.

For more text, click "Next Page>"

(B)  Advise Parents to Naturalize to Confer U.S. Citizenship on the Child.  If the child is a permanent resident of the United States, tell a parent with legal custody of the child to attempt to naturalize to U.S. citizenship before the child turns 18 years of age, since the child then automatically becomes a U.S. citizen.  Once the child is a U.S. citizen, no future delinquency disposition or adult criminal conviction can hurt his or her citizenship status.  See § 12.6, infra.